British Embassy Open House Day
On Saturday, May 12, European Embassies throughout Washington DC will open their doors for the EU’s Open House Day.
Starting at 10:00 am, the British Embassy will host an interactive and family-friendly bazaar celebrating UK sport, culture, and tradition. 2012 is an exciting year for Great Britain with the Olympic and Paralympics Games and the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee. With the theme “This is GREAT Britain”, the Embassy will showcase the GREAT aspects of an innovative and dynamic UK and the unparalleled partnership we share with the people of the United States.
- Activities for families include face painting, learning how to play soccer; cricket; and golf, making a tiara, and writing congratulatory messages to Her Majesty the Queen for her Diamond Jubilee.
- Enjoy traditional British food, drink and music, with whisky tastings by Macallan and fare from Union Jack’s Pub – plus hear ‘God Save the Queen’ performed by the British School children and interact with Shakespearian players.
- Tour the Ambassador’s Residence’s symmetrical garden with its double stairs and paths leading to the rose garden and lawns, which are surrounded by trees, several of which were planted by members of the Royal Family.
- Hear about the best in British business by meeting our sponsors and hearing about their organisations.
- Early visitors will receive a free and eco-friendly British Embassy tote bag and enter for a chance to win a trip to Northern Ireland.